Saturday, June 19, 2010

Bus Ninja and the Vomiteers!

Today we traveled into the rural farm areas of LaEsmerelda where we built the clinic. We did Vacation Bible School for children, and later for teens, at the church that is there. I heard so many cool stories that I thought  I would let everyone blog their favourite moment of the day.




Daniel; I can’t really say I had a favorite moment today. Maybe it was holding our bus drivers loaded fire arm he carries with him at all times and finding the safety is never on. Perhaps it was throwing up at 1:30 at night and the only sympathy I receive is Ethan yelling at me for being sick and waking it up. Maybe it was getting stuck in the pouring rain in our bus unable to get up a hill, getting all the guys wet and muddy then continuing our 5 hour bus ride in that condition. Whatever the memory, Mom, I’m not dead yet, fyi.

Chloe: There was quite a bit going on today, which equals a lot of different memories.  Some were a tad gross, like half of the team vomiting their guts out, but there was a bright side.  Bryan created a new team name; the vomiteers, it was hilarious, we even had a cheer (complete with puking noises).  On a more serious note, it was so amazing to see the people of such a rural area come out to participate in a bible school that was run by gringos, they looked truly happy to be there.  The little kids were adorable and they went crazy when we played games and handed out snacks and toys.  There was also the teen VBS, which was equally as fun.  I think we all touched lives today, and I think the team was touched as well. I’ve also enjoyed spending time with the team, we have had so many laughs and inside jokes and the trip isn’t even over yet.  I love getting to know the people that have the same passion as me.  I have had so much fun on the bus and plane rides, if there were anywhere but here in Nicaragua and with different people, it wouldn’t be the same.  So to sum it all up, I have enjoyed every aspect of this country, the people, the landscapes and scenery, and Donnie is asking me if I’m done, so………….I have to go=]  Oh, and Caleb and I almost got married in a chapel, but I got cold feet, literally,lol. (Parents, don’t get worried, too much, a pastor just accidentally almost married us)

Ethan: I taught a girl how to puke like a champ today, your welcome Mr. and Mrs. Lambrecht.

Caleb: My name is Caleb Conn and I’m the most awesome person on this trip. Just saying, I now have an arch enemy b/c I’m good at what I do, AKA Psychology and eliminating a couple of mafia members from our ranks. I have to say my favorite moment may in fact be… *drum roll please* having no energy in the generator up at the Church in La Esmeralda and my team went with the punches to perform one of our skits without its music. That or, the Disney Sing-A-Long in the bus. I do have to say that after my promotion as protector of the group (this is when I was placed in charged of the machete) I was feeling pretty fly. Thanks to God for getting us up that clay hill and thanks for all your prayers. –Be love. Live love.-

Luke: The past few days I have really enjoyed interacting with the natives, being able to speak Spanish a lot, and just seeing God’s working in the lives of the brothers and sisters here.  But I have to say, my favorite part of the day was getting my first tattoo with her name on it. ;-D

Madison: Hmm…well, the day started out with half the team puking, and the other half singing the Vomiteere Song (composed by our missionary Bryan), which was definitely disgustinggg. After we got onto the road though, we got to see probably one of the most beautiful landscapes known on earth… how people leave Nicaragua after seeing it, im not sure, because I absolutely fell in love with it. Seeing the mountains and jungles just made you stop in amazement and think about how perfect everything god’s created is. I didn’t get to see much of the VBS unfortunately, because I ended up taking an hour nap on the bus, trying to fight back a stomach ache- luckily, I made it down the mountain with no accidentsJ All in all, today was another adventure that I wont ever forget…especially getting stuck in the mud on the mountain.

Beth: So my favorite part of today was… watching Daniel lead the little kids at VBS in a game of “Do This, Do That.” The kids were super excited and having a blast. Their faces just were lit up with joy. This was my favorite because, as we all know kids is a passion of mine, and seeing them super excited and happy just brings joy and passion to my life. The VBS went well in my book. We had last min changes, but as a team we worked through it, and got the job done.
I am super glad for the team that has been put together for this trip, and God is doing amazing things in each one of our lives and allowing us to do great things for His kingdom and glory.



Alaina: This trip is indescribably awesome! The people here are extremely friendly and kind.I must say it’s very different from America, Americans are much more materialistic.  Getting involved with the kids and the teens today was something I’ll never forget.  I never seen so many little faces light up from receiving bouncy balls and yoyos. Also the bus got stuck up the hill and all the boys had to get out and push in the rain and mud, but after all the praying and the boys hard work we got through it!

Amanda: Oh where to start with this day! I am now an official member of the Vomiteeres! I was sick for the grand majority of the day but oddly enough today was one of my favorites! We got to do VBS with all the little kids and I can’t even describe the joy in their eyes. I have had a true sense of accomplishment throughout this entire trip, but today it was multiplied by like 100. The kids are so happy with the littlest things and it really makes me take a second look at all of the things in my life that I take for granted. Another favorite for the day was definitely when Jessie mistook me for a Nicaraguan…legit. Watching they boys try to get the bus up the hill was also pretty amusing. I can’t believe there are only 3 days left! I’m not ready to leave!!!! Love you family!! :)

Mike- Dear Mom and Dad,
I love you.

Nick: I love seeing God work through us in the lives of the people we are encountering. One of the greatest things thus far on the trip happened today. it was during VBS (in which, it was obvious that God’s hand was present and active. How else could a bunch of “United States-ian” Gringos share God’s love? J) I was holding a boy that was probably about three years old, and we were spinning in circles singing and dancing to Father Abraham in Spanish.
            I’m just praising God that there “happened” to be another bus in the vicinity that we were stuck in and that they “happened” to have a pair of chains. Otherwise, idk what would’ve happened.   
            One more thing. Dad, if you are reading this, I just want to say, Happy Fathers day. I’m thinking of you and love you from the Jungles in Nicaragua. Love you too Sam! lol

Don:  So I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The first one was a story that Brian told me about Dennis, the young man in training to be the pastor at LaEsmarelda. Dennis’ father, for no  reason and with no warning, sold their family farm.  All of the people in that area are famers. It’s all they know. It’s what they grew up doing. Inheriting the farm from their parents, or at least part of it so they can buy their own land with the profits, is how people make there living. Dennis only knows coffee. And now with no land, he has no hope and no future. Brian encouraged him. God says he will be faithful to us…..he has a plan…..Perhaps God is going to use him in amazing ways that, had he been farming, couldn’t otherwise do. Dennis is going Gangbusters up their and livin’ it up for God……with no land……no hope……no future. To me it’s both a slightly depressing story and also an overwhelming and inspiring story of what living by faith really looks like. (phhhtt….I’m so pathetic in comparison).
The second one is how The Bus Ninja, aka Louis, struck again! We have had some monster rainfalls the last few days and we were on our way back out of LaEsmerelda when we hit a very steep hill that was impossibly muddy. Louis tried to book it up the hill but we got stuck in the mud just as the rain clouds came right down on top of us. It was raining soooooo hard. All the guys….well…..most of the guys (somehow Daniel and Luke got out of that duty) got out and tried to push the bus up. That didn’t work but tire chains loaned to us from another bus did. What memories.

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome time. Thank you for sharing such details of your journey. I look forward to reading more. Praying for you and the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better sister! You are a loud vomiter so maybe Ethan will do you some good! Love you sister. = ] Hope everyone is feeling better, sanitize up! ; ) I'm glad that you are all seeing the glory of God even though your pain right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda said... First of all, I think Amanda already knows how to puke like a champ...just sayin'...

    It is so great to hear everyone's takeaways from this trip. Eventhough some were sick, we cannot wait to hear everyone's stories! We are excited to hear how God has worked in you and through you all! I hope you are feeling better Amanda!

    As far as I know, every dad I know had a great Father's Day...I know Amanda's dad did! : )

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete